   Re: [xml-dev] need a [ in an ATTLIST

From: "Larry Fillion" <larry.fillion@cnp-tech.com>
To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 02, 2002 3:44 PM
Subject: RE: [xml-dev] need a [ in an ATTLIST

> I find it interesting that the default value can have the '['
>
> <!ATTLIST myelement myattribute1 (value1|value2) "value[">
>

> > The following is a DTD snippet that I am trying to get to work.
> >
> > <!ELEMENT myelement         EMPTY>
> > <!ATTLIST myelement myattribute1 (value1|value2) #REQUIRED>
> > <!ATTLIST myelement myattribute2 (value1|value2|value[) #REQUIRED>
> >
> > The issue is that I need to have a potential value for myattribute2 to
be
> > "value[".
> >
> > The first attribute "myattribute1" works just fine, but when I add the
> > "value["
> > to the list of potential values, I get the following error when I try to
> > parse an
> > XML file (it never makes it passed the parsing of the DTD)
> > javax.servlet.ServletException: Name tokens must not start with "["
> > characters.

Hi Larry, your parser is correct to disallow "[" in an enumerated type.
Each enumeration value must be a token that satisfies the NmToken
production, which consists only of NameChar characters.  See
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#NT-NameChar

As for the parser allowing a default value containing the "[" - this is a
bug.

Regards
Rob Lugt
ElCel Technology