   Re: [xml-dev] need a [ in an ATTLIST

Michael Kay wrote:-

> > As for the parser allowing a default value containing the "["
> > - this is a bug.
> >

> Are you sure?
>
> I read "Validity Constraint: Attribute Value Legal. The declared default
> value must meet the lexical constraints of the declared attribute type".
>
> Firstly, this is a VC not a WFC.

Quite true.  Therefore probably not a bug unless the parser is being used in
validating mode.

> Secondly, it's not obvious that the list of enumerated values is a
"lexical
> constraint", though it would seem reasonable to read it that way.

I think it is.  Richard Tobin may correct me (again) on this, but I think
the word "lexical" is employed here to differentiate between VCs that check
for legal tokens and VCs that check for valid document content such as valid
IDREFs.

> But in any case, it seems to me that a non-validating parser should allow
> <!ATTLIST myelement myattribute1 (value1|value2) "value[">
> through, even though it's nonsense.

Agreed.  Sometimes I forget there are non-validating parsers around ;-))

~Rob