   RE: [xml-dev] RDDL: proposal to document the target namespace of a RDDL

> From: Eric van der Vlist [mailto:vdv@dyomedea.com]

<snip/>

> Just to follow-up on a previous thread (see below), I'd like
> to propose
> adding a new purpose (http://www.rddl.org/purposes#target) for RDDL.
>
> The target of a RDDL document could then be documented (non normative
> example) as:
>
> <rddl:resource id="target"
>        xlink:type="simple"
>        xlink:arcrole="http://www.rddl.org/purposes#target";
>        xlink:role="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml";
>        xlink:title="target namespace"
>        xlink:href="http://example.org/my-namespace";>
>       <h3>Target namespace</h3>
> </rddl:resource>

I personally don't think that this by itself adds much value. RDDL, in its
current form, relies upon the derefencing of a namespace URI to get the RDDL
document, so an application always knows in advance what the "target
namespace" is. Having a simple link in the document for this is redundant
and adds no value.

On the other hand, if greater flexibility is desired such that the document
can associate resources with a namespace URI without having to be at the end
of the namespace URI, then adapting RDDL to support an extended link format
seems a more appropriate approach, and one that affords greater flexibility
than using a simple link that is supposed to support the notion of a "target
namespace". This approach could permit you to associate resources with URIs
other than namespace URIs, such as public ids (as one example), as well.

I had hoped to implement a proof-of-concept using such an approach, but it
was just a spare time activity and I got bogged down with other issues
(namely, building some editor plugins for Eclipse [1]). I hope to get back
into that effort once I get through tax time.

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/