   Re: [xml-dev] A plea for Sanity

Evan Lenz wrote:
> On Friday, April 5, 2002, at 11:05  PM, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>
>>What about declaring those documents?
>>
>><?sanity type="normal|sane|neurotic|psychotic"?>
>>
>>with a default value of psychotic (unfortunately, but you can't assume
>>documents to be normal nor even sane) would allow consumers to adapt
>>their behavior or even to reject documents they don't like...
>

> I'd prefer a simpler boolean choice between preserving the [in-scope
> namespaces] property and simply throwing that information away:
>
>    <?xmlns preserve="yes|no"?>

Yes, but PI targets starting by "xml" happen to be reserved for use by
the W3C ;=) ...

More seriously, this would be quite useful (even though by analogy with
xml:space, this could also be represented by an xml:ns attribute) but
this is quite different from what I had in mind.

<?sanity type="normal|sane|neurotic|psychotic"?> would not be so much an
instruction about how namespace prefixes can be rewriten or not but
rather an instruction allowing to switch to a simpler processing model
for parsers and applications.

This could lead to application profiles and could also be:

<?profile type="common|full"?>

or whatever variation on this theme where "common".

<other_interesting_development_skipped/>

> The remaining piece of the puzzle is QNames in content. Those of us who
> question the sanity of the decision to use the namespace environment to
> resolve QNames in content in the first place--we can use application-level
> declaration mechanisms to resolve QNames in content (probably making them
> global to the document so as not to reinvent the problems of XML
> Namespaces). And we'll be none the poorer for dispensing with the beloved
> namespace environment, whatever its psychological condition.

Yes, I think that the two issues are related but independent!

Eric