   Re: [xml-dev] Naive Question about NS 1.1

4/9/02 4:09:59 PM, "Jeff Rafter" <jeffrafter@defined.net> wrote:

>I always assumed you needed to know what namespaces were in scope to
                  ^^^
>determine what namespace a particular element was bound to:
>
><x:root xmlns:x="http://www.example.org/";>
>  <x:child/>
></x:root>
>
>In the above the in scope namespace for child is "http://www.example.org";
>bound to the "x" prefix. Without the in scope namespaces you would need to
>redeclare the namespace at every level wouldn't you?

Depends on who "you" is.  The *parser* certainly needs to keep track of that information
*internally* for the reasons that you mention.  The point being debated is why, or whether, the
parser needs to expose that information to the calling application and why, or whether, that
information should affect the calling application's behavior.