   Re: [xml-dev] xsl:if to find the existence of an element

On the other hand, it may be a good example of where XSLT is the right
tool. Here's one way of doing it -

version="1.0">
    <!-- -->
    <!-- do a "pull" type transform  -->
    <xsl:template match="SendTaxRequest">
        <SendTaxRequest>
            <element name="TransactionIdentifier" type="ebcdicString"
totalDigits="{string-length(TransactionNumber)}"
value="{TransactionNumber}"/>
            <element name="BusinessDayDate" type="date"
totalDigits="{string-length(BusinessDayDate)}" value="{BusinessDayDate}"/>
            <element name="TaxOutOfCountryFlag" type="ebcdicString"
totalDigits="1">
                <xsl:attribute name="value">
                    <xsl:choose>
                        <xsl:when test="TaxOutOfCountryFlag">Y</xsl:when>
                        <xsl:otherwise>N</xsl:otherwise>
                    </xsl:choose>
                </xsl:attribute>
            </element>
        </SendTaxRequest>
    </xsl:template>
    <!-- -->
</xsl:stylesheet>

you'll notice how the structure of the transform reflects the desired
output - in this coding style XSLT can resemble a simple mail-merge.

I shall leave it to cleverer people than me to demonstrate how much more
appropriate the other tools are ;)

But if you decide to go with XSLT, try xsl-list for support - it really
is a surprisingly good list.

Francis.