-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Jelliffe [mailto:ricko@allette.com.au]

From: "John Cowan" <jcowan@reutershealth.com>

> Java supports the jar: scheme

Happy to be wrong on that example. Thanks John.

But it does not change the point. There exists data in
the world which cannot be accessed by URL
from any system, or for which no schemes exist to
access it or CGIs or queries have been written using
existing schemes.  URLs have a certain reach at any point
in time: that defines the extent of the WWW as a platform.