   Re: [xml-dev] MS to shelve Hailstorm / .NET My Services?

Hi Dare,

Dare said:

I am curious as to what exactly this has to do with XML?

;)

Honest...

Didier replies:
In fact it has a lot to do with XML since Hailstorm is/was based on XML.
More particularly, an Hailstorm service is/was based on an XML database
offering an API to insert/update/remove XML document fragments. Allowing to
manipulate and store XML document fragments is useful if the infoset you
want to store is more dynamic than static [1] This could hardly done with
relational databases but easily done with XML databases.

Now on the subject of Hailstorm removed from the consumer market. The latest
rumor is that Hailstorm services will be offered as software packages to
corporations. Why? simple enough, we all discovered during the internet
bubble that the consumers marginal propensity to consumption has a limit for
information products, and corporations' marginal propensity to consumption
is simply more important. I guess Microsoft also discovered that ;-)

[1] Not responding to a fixed structure but more to a dynamic one, for
instance, a personal information record containing more or less information.
This need can usually be fulfiled with flexible C/C++ unions but less easily
done than with XML documents based on a simple DTD or schema.

cheers
Didier PH Martin