   RE: [xml-dev] A Question about View Construction in XML

> Does it mean that if the tree (the intermediate result) is
> too big to fit
> in the memory, then we have to write the tree back to
> harddisk first and
> then start running query Q2? Or in other words, can we start
> runing query Q2
> before the processing of Q1(DB) finish?

No existing XSLT processor that I know of can transform a document that is
too big to fit in memory, so writing it to disk won't help you.

> In relational database, since tuples are processed in
> pipeline, we can start
> running Q2 without having the complete result of Q1(DB). I am
> afraid it is
> not true in xml, right?

Xalan, I think, has the ability to start transforming, and to start
producing output, before all the input has been read. But by the time all
the input has been read, a tree will have been built in memory.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com