   Re: [xml-dev] XHTML survival rate?

On Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:29:32 EDT, AndrewWatt2000@aol.com wrote:

>I think SVG has significant practical advantages for many mapping and
>technical diagram applications. That is a powerful pull forward for SVG.
>Graphic designers ... But once some decent books covering the topic appear
>then I expect SVG to explode in a way similar to what happened to HTML
>several years back. The always accessible SVG source code is a great
>learning tool.

Back when I swa the first submissions of SVG to the W3C, I
noticed a little disclaimer that said that Adobe (and maybe
others involved) retained the right to charge license fees
for the use of the format (based on their technology in it)
at some undetermined future time.  This worried me, with the
example of Unisys' sandbagging the Web with the GIF-related
patents by waiting until GIF was in widespread use before
asserting their "rights" to rather draconian license fees.

Have the original contributors since assigned any such rights
in SVG to the public domain, or is there a time-bomb here?

  (jeremy@omsys.com)  http://www.omsys.com/