   RE: [xml-dev] "Phase Relationships in the Standardization Process"

Which is why W3C issued specifications until someone
discovered that standards have more clout.  It was
easier to dilute the meaning of the terms than to
accept the limits of useful authority.  Ambition outs
semantic indifference.

The technical writer talked to me about our "bleeding
edge technology".  I told her we didn't do that and
didn't want to, and furthermore, our customers don't
want us to.   They want something that works reliably.
There is a lot more interest in meat and potatoes
programming than bleeding edge tech this side of
the news media and naive investors.

If anyone wants to do this right, do as suggested:

1.  Put the W3C in a cog position inside a set of gears
    where ISO is the outermost wheel and the slowest.

2.  Send your technologists to the W3C.

3.  Send your marketing technical wonks to ISO.

That will work.  The right people will be in the
right place at the right time to do the right job.

len