   RE: [xml-dev] Re: SVG (Was: XHTML survival rate?)

That would be cool if I were an indie, but
where I work, we are MS Thralls, so it is
IE all the way.   I am glad to hear about
that.  I hope X3D makes it into mozilla.
It is sad to me that originally, the
Netscape browser and Live3D were the
cornerstones of 3D on the web.  XML itself
was the killer app and many designers
didn't see it until too late.

<rant intensity='light'>
I'm not blind to the value of Mozilla.
Open source ensures the survival of the web, not only as we
want it, but as we know we need it and in a
form that does the most people the most
good.  System boundaries help that notion
by showing where competition is healthy
and where cooperation is essential.  I'm
not as sure as some where those boundaries
are drawn or if they are even contiguous.

At some point, the notion that the www-lib
was founded on, that a common source code
base is the best way to ensure interoperability,
must be revived in earnest not just by
the open source advocates who already understand
this but by the commercial interests as well.
Portable data is not enough.   As we attempt
to do more with the web resources, we increase
the complexity and dependencies.  I think web
services will drive this home.  That is why
the WSI-O could be a good thing.

That and understanding why some people in
influential places consider a "common viewer"
to be their only way to meet their mission
objectives.  It is a smart thing for some
to remember that a lot of the sharp work
in SGML hypermedia was done in the IETM
community.  It was a world where disconnected
mode was well-understood and documents as
databases were not thought to be lunatic
fringe ideas.  But it was not a world
that operationally could always use the Internet
in ways some envision as the only way to
build interoperable and integrated systems.</rant>

len