From: Ronald Bourret [mailto:rpbourret@rpbourret.com]
Sent: 13 April 2002 01:18
To: colman@drybridge.com
Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Obtaining a Namespace or Defining a URN.

To obtain a namespace, all you need to do is create a URI that is under
your control. No registration (or anything else) needed for the
namespace, although registration might be needed for the URI.

For example, suppose you wanted a namespace to identify elements and
attributes in the Arthur Colman Markup Language (ACML). Since
drybridge.com is already under your control (through a separate
registration process), you could create a URL and use it as a namespace
name:

   http://www.drybridge.com/ACML

(No, it doesn't need to point to anything. You just need a unique
identifier.)

Two other notes. First, I'm not sure what namespaces have to do with
identifying parties in a transaction. These are completely separate
things. Second, whether or not URIs need to be registered and how to go
about doing that depends on the type of URI. You'll have to poke around
Google to find information on how to do it -- I seem to recall the W3C
has a paper about this.

-- Ron