   Re: [xml-dev] Re: SVG

In a message dated 13/04/02 18:04:44 GMT Daylight Time, DaveP@dpawson.freeserve.co.uk writes:

>Adobe SVG Viewer is in very good shape, as are Batik and the CSIRO viewers.
>Mozilla and X-Smiles aren't doing bad either. Amaya has some support, though
>it's admittedly limited. KDE's SVG support is looking very good, and should
>be quite complete -- if not totally complete -- soon. That's more than two,
>doesn't take into account some viewers that I haven't tested, or internal
>projects that aren't public yet (and I know first hand that there are some).
>
>It also doesn't take into account WebDraw or SodiPodi (and whatever the
>latest KDE vector tool is nowadays) which aren't players but editors.

+1 for you Andrew?

http://www.mayura.com

Dave,

If Mayura actually allows editing of SVG that is news to me, although it is some time since I checked it out. It has basic drawing facilities and can export SVG. In my book that isn't an editor, at least it isn't an editor in the way that Jasc WebDraw is, where an image can be edited visually or its code can be edited.

My point to Len was to agree that it isn't healthy that the Adobe SVG Viewer dominates as it does now. Strictly speaking ASV3 doesn't yet implement all of SVG 1.0, although it provides maybe 95% of the functionality. Batik 1.1 significantly less, the betas of Batik 1.5 gets a little closer to ASV3.

Until we get other viewers which implement a proportion of SVG 1.0 comparable to ASV3 or better then the perception that SVG "belongs" to Adobe will linger. The fact that other development is underway is a healthy sign for SVG. But, as I said to Robin, I don't think it is particularly helpful to claim more than 2 viewers being available when the others are partial implementations at best.

In 6 or 12 months I would expect the situation to be significantly healthier and Len's concern will hopefully be seen to be a creature of its time.

Andrew Watt