   Re: RE: [xml-dev] Will Web Services Kill HTTP?

4/15/2002 9:56:33 AM, "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

>So it seems to me that clarity in the defining and
>bounding architectures is vital.

Very true.  "The Web Architecture" is not defined by the W3C except in some non-
normative musings by Tim Berners-Lee, and Roy Fielding's exposition of the more
abstract REST principles. Nor is the "SOAP" architecture (if there is one), or the
"Web RPC" architecture defined anywhere that I know of.   We definitely live in
"interesting times" as the distributed objects model, the traditional web, XML, and
(some would say) the semantic web are all being thrown into the pot together. These
approaches are not completely consistent with one another -- e.g. the conflict
between the distributed object goal of encapsulation and the XML goal of
transparency, and the RPC vs REST differences we've talked about extensively.

These architectural issues will be sorted out in the marketplace of ideas and
products, not in "smoke filled rooms".

[That metaphor is obsolete, since I haven't been to a meeting where smoking was
allowed in years. "latte-filled rooms? Wi-Fi hotspot rooms?].