   Re: RE: [xml-dev] Will Web Services Kill HTTP?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
To: "'Mike Champion'" <mc@xegesis.org>; "xml-dev" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 9:45 AM
Subject: RE: RE: [xml-dev] Will Web Services Kill HTTP?

> Fielding's paper and the URI definition make pretty
> good boundaries.  The concepts that "on the web" means:
>
> 1.  Unification of address and name space through
> application of the URI definitions to enable the
> identification of resources
That would be an interesting read.   Although does that
mean the full extend of URI scope.  Which includes
ftp, mailto, nntp, and I am sure I am missing a few others
that are resolvable through URI.

and does number 2 apply to those URIs??  So does that
expand the scope of the web to include protocols outside
of HTTP/S ??

> 2.  Application of consistent interface semantics
> as exemplified by HTTP to ensure access to resources
>
> seems clear enough.  Now:
>
> Does item 1 imply that all URIs should use http:
> in the URI string for namespaces?
>
> Does item 2 imply that only HTTP-defined semantics
> as defined in the Fielding REST architecture
> must be implemented in any other protocol that
> claims to enable web-access?
>
> RDF and the SemWeb concepts are interesting in themselves.
> They aren't currently required in items 1 and 2 above.
> However, they are defined in terms of these, yes?  So
> aren't they web-application only?  IOW, one only gets
> these if one is working within the web architecture
> per items one and two?
>
> len

May I ask in the REST principles a contributing factor to the
very real issue of a SOAP call over HTTP.  Since HTTP doesn't
maintain a connection if communications appears to drop out.
A RPC that takes more time than the communication timer
is allowed for and the connection is dropped. I suppose there are ways
around it. (write the client to periodically check for new info)

I appears to me that a RPC standard that relys on the disconnected standard
of HTTP would have some limitations.  (a certain limit in processing time of
a procedure for instance) Excuse me if these seem a little daft, but just my
observations.

Douglas