   RE: [xml-dev] which xml schema tools do it right concerning including at

  • To: "Paul Hermans" <paul_hermans@protext.be>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] which xml schema tools do it right concerning including attributes xml:lang and xml:space
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:58:42 -0700
  • Cc: <xmlschema-dev@w3.org>

*sigh*

After confering with some of our schema folks something was brought up which adds a caveat to my comments.

A problem arises because the normative schema for Schema (sForS) imports the schema for the XML namespace already. This means that a conformant XSD implementation acts as if the XSD for the "http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; and "http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"; were imported into any schema it validates. However, Paul is attempting to re-import that namespace using a different schemaLocation and XSD. According to the W3C XML Schema recommendation[0]

"NOTE: The above is carefully worded so that multiple <import>ing of the same schema document will not constitute a violation of clause 2 of Schema Properties Correct (§3.15.6), but applications are allowed, indeed encouraged, to avoid <import>ing the same schema document more than once to forestall the necessity of establishing identity component by component. Given that the schemaLocation [attribute] is only a hint, it is open to applications to ignore all but the first <import> for a given namespace, regardless of the ·actual value· of schemaLocation, but such a strategy risks missing useful information when new schemaLocations are offered."

So this means it is possible for a conformant implementation to ignore a schema author's attempt to re-import the XML namespace and redefine its components. Currently the Microsoft .NET implementation does this but does not issue any warning when it does.

[0] http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#composition-schemaImport
--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
Lynch's Law: When the going gets tough, everyone leaves.

You assume all risk for your use. © 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.