   RE: [xml-dev] XHTML adoption curve

I think big companies like IBM and etrade would be motiviated to use a feature like this so one knows "a page is from IBM" or "a page is from etrade" without having to got through the expensive and uncacheable SSL method.  They in turn would need to influence browser vendors.

-----Original Message-----
From: AndrewWatt2000@aol.com [mailto:AndrewWatt2000@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 1:38 AM
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XHTML adoption curve

In a message dated 15/04/02 22:07:03 GMT Daylight Time, Doug.Ransom@pwrm.com writes:

I thought of a little carrot that might help improve the HTML developer
affinity for XHTML:  Signed XHTML.  If XHTML pages were signed in a specific
manner with using x.509 based PKI, browsers could inform users they can
trust the content of the page.

Doug,

What makes you think that your suggestion would improve acceptance of XHTML?

What is your analysis of the barriers/discouragements operate for a "typical" HTML developer even contemplating adopting XHTML? How does your suggestion help the vast majority of HTML developers who exist in a world outside XML geekdom?

I spend most of my time with XML but, to be frank, fail to see the "carrot" in your suggestion for a typical HTML developer.

Andrew Watt