   Re: [xml-dev] Patents

Ramin Firoozye wrote:

> Or to have a sense of humor... If you actually read the text of patent
> #6,368,227 (it was lunchtime, what can I say (:-), you'll see that it's a
> pretty decent work of satire (esp. the last paragraph). See for yourself. An
> excerpt is attached.

One hopes this is the case. Having just read the articles on IBM's ebXML
patents and thinking about what any of the large database companies
could do to my own work with just a threatening letter, my humor sensors
are a bit underpowered on this issue at the moment.

(In all fairness, I suspect that the lawyer just wanted his kid to have
something cool to show his playmates. I doubt a seven-year-old would
appreciate the street theater involved and the lawyer doesn't seem to be
interested in making a point about the system.)

> Then again, if you don't defend a patent you could lose all rights to it.
> You could head for the park today and force the young inventor to come after
> you with a legal writ (:-)

Which is the best suggestion yet. It's a nice day out and Ellie's
tolerance for me being at the computer is limited at best.

C'mon kid. Let's go violate some patents :)

-- Ron