   WebDAV / RFC 3253 ???

I've been surprised at the lack of response to RFC 3253, which finally adds
versioning to the WebDAV spec.  "RFC 3253" generates only about 500 hits on
Google, and most of them are simply announcements that the RFC was issued,
or updates to lists of RFCs.  Why?  Two years ago, I was pretty sure that
checkin/checkout was what WebDAV needed to get on the radar, it now has
them, but no blip!

some hypotheses -- off the top of my head, I've not thought about this much
for awhile ...

1 - WebDAV still hasn't hit the 80/20 point: it doesn't have anywhere near
the functionality of a real DB or CM system (e.g., queries) and has most of
the hassles (e.g. security).

2 - The folks promoting WebDAV a few years ago have gotten excited about
SOAP as a more general and lucrative solution to the problem of interfacing
clients with CM systems over the Web.

3 - The proverbial chicken-egg problem -- there is little support because
there is little interest, and little interest because there is no support,
and no hype machine to get the spiral started.

4 - There is a lot of support out there, but it's still off my radar for
some reason.

5 - It was a bad idea all along, and I was missing something obvious...

Thoughts?