   Re: (RE: [xml-dev] Patents)

From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>

> Or maybe this will be the catalyst that leads to an improvement of the
> abysmal US patent system where any idea that is couched in a modicum
> of technical lingo is awarded a patent to the dentriment of the industry
as
> whole. Then again, maybe I'm just a hypocrite considering that I work
> for a company with a significant patent portfolio.

Speaking of patents, tollboths and invasions on privacy, would you mind
getting personally blamed for the issue below :-) ? I can't always blame it
all on Bill&Steve so I need names within MS... Anyone has suggestions ?

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/134438173_passport1
8.html

Appetizer: "But getting the United States to use Passport to authenticate
its 285 million citizens online would be a coup for the Redmond software
company. It would also be a large step toward fulfilling Microsoft Chairman
Bill Gates' stated goal of getting everyone on the Internet to use Passport
as their sign-on tool."

Ironically, we are worrying about little tollboths somewhere on the
Information SuperHighway ((c) Al Gore) as the access points themselves are
getting locked. I'm no US citizen, but I'd be concerned... It won't take
long before "war on terrorism" justifies that as well.

> So I guess, Yes, we should blame him for wasting HIS money to show
> his son how ridiculous the US patent system is and how much of a farce
> his day to day job actually is.

Yes, let's hope his goal was not to convince his son that he should become
another lawyer when he grows up and use the system's idiocy as his career &
fortune plan!

Alain.
---
Alain Rogister