   RE: [xml-dev] Can you stand yet another SOAP-RPC vs HTTP GET question?

  • To: "Mike Champion" <mc@xegesis.org>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>,<robin@knowscape.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Can you stand yet another SOAP-RPC vs HTTP GET question?
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 20:49:16 -0700

That comment on the weblog is blinded by "shiny new things" technology. Google could still give people pre-digested XML data as you call it without going through the hoopla of SOAP and WSDL by simply providing a schema for the XML results returned by a query.

If Google returned

<google:results xmlns:google="xmlns://google.com/2002/searchAPI"
                         xmlns:xsi=http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance
           xsi:schemaLocation=http://www.google.com/xml/searchResults.xsd>

  <google:result uri="http://www.25hoursaday.com"; > <!-- Perhaps more elements or text here -->  </google:result>

<! -- more results -->

</google:results>

from a HTTP GET for http://www.google.com/xml?q=Dare+Obasanjo then nothing stops me from using Data Binding technologies in my language of choice (Yaay C#, Yaay Java, Yaay Perl) to "pre-digest" this data into objects since I have a schema for it. Plus, I have the benefit of still seeing the raw XML for my data whenever I'd like to.

Basically, I'm terribly unimpressed by the Google API. I hope this isn't what people consider the point of SOAP and webservices because if so then they are fooling themselves greatly.