   Re: [xml-dev] Can you stand yet another SOAP-RPC vs HTTP GET question?

[Mike Champion]

> Ah-ha, I think that's what I've been missing here!  Never having used VB,
etc.,
> I just didn't grok why people would want to jump through hoops to avoid
dealing
> with a very simple URI/HTTP call/XML result.  That just doesn't fit into
the
> "paradigm" of visual component assembly programming, but WSDL/SOAP-RPC
does.
> And the "hoops" are hidden out of sight, along with all the other code
generation
> that VB is doing.

I've just starting working with .NET Studio and their Services.  It's quite
amazing what goes on behind the scenes.  You can, BTW, create a wsdl page
for a perfectly normal RESTFUL GET or POST page.  The .NET Studio machinery
can take that wsdl and use it to create client web pages in the exact same
way as follow for SOAP services.  To the programmer, nothing much has
changed, but behind the scenes the Microsoft .NET machinery uses a GET or a
POST.  So far as I know so far, the POST has to return an xml document
(could be a single element, of course) that is defined in a schema in the
wsdl document.

Within Studio, you instantiate an object representing the service, and call
methods on it as if it were an ordinary object.  It seems innocent enough,
but you are totally divorced from what really goes on behind the scenes -
including several layers of hidden code the system generates.

Cheers,

Tom P