   Re: [xml-dev] Can you stand yet another SOAP-RPC vs HTTP GET question?

> Your post has me rather confused. In .NET, there are tools to convert an XML
schema to a class definition and back as well as serialization technologies for
converting valid instances documents to instances of the class.

> Granted, VS.NET does a bunch of behind the scenes work grabbing WSDL, etc.
where I'd have to write code to obtain the schema, convert it to a class then
load it into my process. However, I don't see much difference in how
"pre-digested" the data is in either case.

Agreed Dare,

Although I think I am starting to understand.

We can look at soap as being a tranisitional paradigm from a Com or Corba based
object module to
a newer distributive module using an established code base.  SOAP encapsulates
what was normally
a local procedure call and using wsdl it can self describe its dependancies and
its own schema.

IOW it takes a COM, Corba, or java bean programming paradigm, encapsulates it
into a self describing
RPC, allowing it to talk with different underlying technologies.  Without having
to reprogram the underlying
technology.  SOAP at best is a Transistional tool to take advantage of code that
already exists. without much
modification add a layer to it to let it talk to different object modules.  Over
a protocols that already exists.

At least that is my understanding of the arguments presented.

So I guess it depends on the time and resources available, the installed code
base, and other factors, if you
use soap or change the underlying programming to handle the changes.

In the Google example, I would probably use the html-get options as it is less
verbose.  Other features
I may use SOAP to encapsulate the functionality and expose it to the web, while
the underlying work may
be done in the language of choice.  for local internal calls.

BTW, there are some programmers changeing from DNA to Web services on the MS
platform on the intranet
basis, as it is much easier to implement in vs.net than the DNA dcom based
structures.

douglas