   RE: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

On Sun, 2002-04-21 at 16:42, Henrik Frystyk Nielsen wrote:
> It's funny how differently one can look at an extensible message based
> framework without much core functionality other than extensibility
> itself. Some say that it can be used for a lot, others that it doesn't
> do much. At some level, they are both right.

Sorry - forgot to mention this.

XML similarly offers an "extensible... framework without much core
functionality other than extensibility itself."

That leaves me wondering how many such extensible frameworks we actually
need to have in order to get work done.

I can justify message format frameworks as something separate from
message delivery frameworks, I suppose, but SOAP seems to deliberately
blur the boundaries of those two things in any event.  I'm still seeking
out the advantages of such blurring.

[While SOAP is separating itself from transport protocols, SOAP
intermediaries appear have powers to modify the SOAP header blocks
inside the message itself, effectively demonstrating the admixture of
message and delivery framework.]

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!