   Re: [xml-dev] Can you stand yet another SOAP-RPC vs HTTP GET question?

Joshua Allen wrote:

> > If you want to see the end result of this, go look at the bizarre and
> > complicated way that Hailstorm (may she rest in peace) dealt with
> state.
> >

> Actually, Hailstorm had the most REST-ful state manipulation scheme I
> have seen proposed.  At least at the generic level, everything was a
> URI, and to manipulate individual nodes, you had to address the node
> globally.

Well the weird bit was tht it reinvented HTTP a couple of levels up the
stack. And overall in the context of my previous message I wanted to
emphasize the extent to which each SOAP application will invent its own
state manipulation. Hailstorm certainly did that. It would take a "not
very XML-saavy" programmer quite a bit of effort to understand
Hailstorms' virtual document, red/blue element model. I never got the
point where I decided whether I liked it or not but the point is that if
a web services developer is confronted with six or seven such "novel"
state manipulation schemes they will come to fell that web services are
not as easy as they first thought.

Admittedly, Haisltorm was supposed to be a kind of meta-application so
it has a little more leeway for being "innovative" but I think the point
remains valid. Even if only meta-applications are similarly innovative
you might need to deal with different state manipulation strategies for
Hailstorm, RosettaNet, ebxml, BizTalk, etc.

 Paul Prescod