   Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 02:44:44PM -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> If "you're doing anything over the Internet with people that you haven't
> previously met and may not trust"  you are probably a small child or a teenager and your
> parents should take away your privileges on the family account.

I don't trust Microsoft, yet I have no problem invoking;

 GET http://www.microsoft.com

I don't think people appreciate how difficult it is making that work.
You have to specify it just right, or else one or both of the invokee
or invoker won't feel comfortable letting people invoke it.

> Seriously:  anyone who is thinking about this stuff without
> really understanding business contracts for services should
> step back and think some more.  Otherwise, one risks
> becoming the Scarecrow singing "If I only had a brain...."

Profesionally, I have thought of little else for the duration of my
career.

> I'm curious.  Do you really believe that many services need
> to scale to the number of potential Internet users?  That
> won't happen except possibly for very trivial services
> and even then, it isn't likely.  People are confusing
> surfing web pages with accessing functions.  Not the same
> thing at all.

It's *exactly* the same thing, it just takes an unfamiliar form.

MB