   RE: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

Appearances can fool you.  The difference isn't the form;
it's the function (ok, bad pun but the point is, horses
for courses).  It limits the potential users.

A web page developer "publishes" a
web page.  It really is there for anyone and everyone
to look at.  A function developer thinks about programs
that will call that function or method.  Yes, one can
escape and claim that an API is there for anyone to
use, but the reality is, only those that need it do
and only those that are qualified can.  This is a much
more limited audience than "the Web".  How limited?
It depends but how many services can you think of
that everyone wants or can code to?

Is it the case that many web services have a limited
user base, may be contract qualified, and therefore,
never have to scale to the size of the Internet?

If the programmer thinks that anyone anywhere anytime
can use it (the web paradigm), use REST.  Otherwise,
a web service app is a subscription to a set of services,
contractually bound and qualified, and never scales
to the very large potential of the Web.  One can
say that a web service app is an open proprietary
application.

len