   Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

I've been trying to catch up on this very interesting discussion ...... but
its gone off on so many different threads its tricky to keep track.
The only comment I'll add (as I'm a bit late in getting involved!) is in
response to Dare's post......

I agree that SOAP has a tendancy to be a 'reinvention' of a number of
distributed computing technologies and trying to justify its benefits to
someone who is an advocat of CORBA or RMI or DCOM etc is a challenge to say
the least.

I wouldn't say that SOAP is an improvement over any of these in itself but
what it offers is finally an agreed 'standard' that hopefully will be
globally adopted (whether in its current state or when it has evolved a
little more).

It is political.  The CORBAbods don't see why they should adopt RMI, the
RMIbods feel the same about CORBA etc etc ...... so lets invent a completely
new standard so there doesn't appear to be any 'favouritism' towards any of
the established technologies.

This might be a naive view but - something had to give, something had to be
developed that everyone (or the majority) would be fairly happy to use in
order to go someway towards interoperability.  That something was SOAP.
Maybe not the best solutions, not the worst, just the one that happened to
come out on top.

But of course thats purely my opinion :)

Caroline Clewlow
IT Analyst
QinetiQ