   Re: Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

Hi Joshua

Joshua said:
SQL Server has a concept of a XML-SQL mapping that lets you put XPath as
part of the URI.  Something like:

http://www.server.com/databases/northwind.xsd/customers/orders[qty >
'5']

I am pretty sure that Oracle does this as well.

I personally think that this idea of an "XML View" is a great way to
webify a relational database and make all of the data universally
addressable.  It is also consistent with RESTful idea of "mediated view"
over a resource.  SQL data thus exposed is accessible from XSLT
document() function, and all of the other GET clients.

Didier replies:
This is maybe the start of a solution. I guess that what is returned is a
row. What if I want a hierarchical dataset like for instance an invoice
composed from the client table and the inventory table (and integrated into
a single XML document). This may be needed for a particular application.

cheers
Didier PH Martin