   RE: [xml-dev] SemWeb again

My opinion is that the semantic web (in the purest, most basic sense)
will happen inevitably, and there is nothing anyone could do to stop it.
I would also point out that controversy over RDF is irrelevant; the
semantic web could happen with or without RDF.  Thinking of RDF as a
syntax that actually *does* something just clouds things and gets people
confused.  Take away RDF, pretend it never existed, and think about how
to make the web handle meta.

I wrote this paper some time ago which talks about the low-hanging fruit
for a semantic web; stuff that should be able to be easily deployed on
existing technology and would be very appealing (maybe even "killer") to
people.

http://www.netcrucible.com/semantic.html

The attempt of the paper is to show the pragmatic way that things will
probably happen.  I still stand by this analysis more than a year later;
I think it covers the major practical use cases and the probable issues
that will arise.

In fact, I think that the semantic web and web-services are not so
misaligned as some people claim.  I think that web-services is currently
advertised as a B2C thing, when it is more realisticly a B2B thing.  And
most uses of RDF today are B2B, and I think the real semantic web will
be inevitable because of its C2C potential.

In the end, it turns out that Web-Services are just the semantic web in
controlled and well-orchestrated scenarios, and SemWeb is just
web-services in a totally sloppy and uncontrolled global scenario.

It
> >needs a simplification and some killer apps.
>
> Perhaps, but it has generated an awful lot of ill feeling for the W3C
> leadership, in my
> humble and personal opinion garnered from many private conversations.
> Whatever the
> justification for that ill feeling, it is critical for SemWeb
advocates to
> understand and
> come to grips with it.
>
> I see three general threads in the critique of the semantic web
initiative:

> 1 - Priority:  This is simply not something that most of the member
> companies want the
> consortium to focus on.  Whether or not it is true that the W3C has
failed
> to get out in
> front of the technology curve on web services, there is a persistent
> belief that the W3C
> leadership has been twiddling with the SemWeb while WS
interoperability
> got burned.  This
> resulted in the founding of the WS-I to do what the major vendors
formerly
> relied on the
> W3C to do.
>
> 2 -  Progress to date: The WWW (by most accounts, again I don't claim
this
> is reality)
> emerged as a working system out of CERN in the early 1990's, and was
> adopted because it
> solved real problems for real people (initially in the academic
quasi-
> academic research
> communities, I believe).  The SemWeb by contrast has, after 4 years or
so,
> no "killer
> apps" that any but true believers find useful in their day jobs.  RSS
1.0
> is probably the
> best know RDF application, but even it is less popular in actual use
than
> the non-RDF
> variants. I wasn't around for the early days of SGML, but as far as I
know
> it won converts
> by solving problems, not on the coolness of its vision.
>
> 3 - Probability of eventual success: this smells a LOT like some "next
big
> things" of days
> gone by that never amounted to anything. Rightly or wrongly, many
people
> see RDF as Prolog
> in XML syntax, and the vision as being disturbingly similar to the
Fifth