   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Successes (RE: [xml-dev] W3C Culture and Aims )

4/25/2002 4:38:20 AM, ht@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Henry S. Thompson) wrote:

>I agree that XSLT is indeed a relevant case, but not surprisingly I
>see it as another case of successful innovation, not just careful
>synthesis of existing practice.

My assertion is that a body of existing practice that covers a large
portion of the technology being standardized is a NECESSARY condition
for success.  That doesn't mean it's a sufficient condition, or that
creativity or innovation is not needed to synthesize the lessons of
practice into a successful standard.