   RE: [xml-dev] lots of WS reading material

  • To: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>,<xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] lots of WS reading material
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 07:01:58 -0700

Interesting, Well written.

> Clay
> Shirky's "What Web Services Got Right... and Wrong"
> has a different
> take: http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/04/22/clay.html

Interesting, I tend to agree with a lot Shirkey said.

> Edd Dumbill's "Kicking Out the Cuckoo" suggests that Web
> Services need to find a more appropriate home:
> http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/04/24/taglines.html

Overly hostile with a dash of paranoia. Also fails to acknowledge the
reality of the situation.

> Marc
> Hedlund's "SOAP Wars" seems to continue the "it
> works" line of argument Dave Winer put forward here last
> week: http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/1331

Fairly reasonable perspective, although I disagree with him.

> Dave Winer's written a "Rebuttal to REST":
> http://www.xmlrpc.com/rebuttalToRest

This is just sad.

> Finally, most of my
> recent Weblogs have been about related issues:
> http://www.oreillynet.com/weblogs/author/166

Like the hat.

> http://www.advogato.org/person/simonstl/

:)
I guess they are web services as long as they use port 80 and go over
HTTP.

I'm kind off amused by the fact that SOAP proponents haven't thought too
hard about some of the issues facing SOAP but are simply enamored with
their toy apps for now.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
If you want to recapture your youth, cut off his allowance.

rights.
You assume all risk for your use. (c) 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights reserved.