   RE: [xml-dev] lots of WS reading material

Good point, but I think we use XML for reasons
other than the Infoset.  A syntax-based spec
is why we can say "XML Doesn't Care" and mean
it.  Markup is not about messaging per se.
It is about having a descriptive format that
can reliably be used to move information
without loss.   The trick is that when the
Dumpster gets full, you can reach in and
sort the information out of the garbage.

Does the Infoset warranty that as well as
XML 1.0?  Granted, it can be done with other
syntaxes as well, and most of us know, it gets
down to choosing one and sticking with it.

Someone asked the other day how such an
ugly thing as SGML could have beaten its
competitors.  A GS-zed I knew in DoD told
me, when the time came to choose, it was
the only workable solution among a lot of
other ugly solutions.  It seemed that the
nature of the problem bred uglyness and
all that mattered was functionality.

len