-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Bray [mailto:tbray@textuality.com]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

the underlying XML]

> That would tend to suggest that for the XML on The
> Web system, the Infoset specification is core and
> that XML 1.0 is a syntax mapping corresponding to
> a subset of SGML.

Except for, there's no de facto or de jure way to exchange an infoset as
an infoset.  And what we do on the Web is exchange data.  This is why
XML is normatively defined at a syntactical level.  Without reliable
data interchange, you have nothing.  With it, you have the potential to
build anything. -Tim