   Re: [xml-dev] SOAP and the Web

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

>Doesn't REST also use XML?

Only for results, as far as I can make out. Unless anyone has come up
with a standard way of sending XML parameter blocks with HTTP GETs?

For those of us who get excited about sending and receiving schema-valid
XML messages this is a bit frustrating.

>It may be that the programming model (procedural
>invocation of remote procedures) is given
>resistance to learning a new paradigm.  So
>far, the REST architecture would appear to be
>superior based on the reliability of the components
>for processing URIs, safe operations, scaling
>of simple methods over the confusion of every
>programmer rolling their own and each having
>to learn essentially, a new API for every service.

having schema-valid GET parameters could make the web even more open -
if my train timetable query uses a schema which enumerates all valid
stations for the toStation and fromStation attributes, then a smart
browser, maybe using an XForms plugin, would help me build my query, but
I would still be able to embed or link to the resulting GET.

Increasingly I feel that more of the value of Web Services will come
from WSDL than from SOAP.

Francis.