   RE: [xml-dev] SOAP and the Web

Could you suggest ways in which REST and SOAP could merge? I am well
aware of the support for SOAP, and its unambiguous xml package
content feature.  The fact that it anticipates asynchronous
functionality is IMHO the single most necessary feature for what is
called web services. Since REST is an architecture and SOAP is
package wrapper method, are there reasons why SOAP could not fit
inside REST?

Ciao,
Rex

At 12:15 PM -0700 5/1/02, Mike Deem wrote:
>After re-reading my response, I think I can posit a high level summery.
>
>To build robust distributed systems in a decentralized way, you MUST
>have layers above the low level primitives offered by a network level
>architecture. As things currently stand, SOAP and REST are different low
>level architectures. Perhaps they can and should merge, that is an
>argument for a different thread.
>
>The key difference is that a community is actively moving forward with
>defining, implementing, packaging (in tools and application platforms),
>and testing for interoperability these layers built on SOAP. To my
>knowledge, no such effort is underway for REST. That is the payoff of
>SOAP.
>
>   == Mike ==

<snip>