   Re: [xml-dev] SOAP and the Web

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" wrote:

> It can't be done ad hoc without standard discoverable
> vocabularies.  Even REST can't do that.  That's why the
> major attention can't be SOAP or REST; it has to
> be schema development.

SOAP and REST are obviously at two different levels (syntax and
architecture) but nevertheless you MUST work out some basic parts of
your processing model before you start your schema development. I think
that REST works out of the box with basically any schema but I'm not
100% sure on that. I *am* sure that using either component RPC or
one-way messaging paradigms will make it impossible for you to use
hyperlinks and that is a major factor in schema design. If you do not
design your schema specifically for RPC or one-way messaging, the schema
is likely NOT to work properly with them because well-designed schemas
tend to use hyperlinks to reference external information.

 Paul Prescod