   Re: [xml-dev] Yet another plea for XUpdate (was New XSLT, XPath, and XQ

--- Jonathan Robie
<jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com> wrote:

> Integration with the rest of XQuery gives you one
> other important
> advantage: type safety. That really matters for
> updates.

I've always felt this focus on type safety was a BIG
red herring (especially seeing how monstrous it has
become in XQuery) when one can use post-update
validation to determine whether the update is valid or
not. However, this should be at the discretion of the
underlying repository and not baked to hard into the
language because it makes too complex and carry
unecessary baggage for certain classes of user. This
is exactly what happened with XML Schema and some
document-centric applications (all that complexity yet
no ability to constraint mixed content models).

> At 12:49 PM 5/2/2002 -0700, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> >XUpdate is an overly verbose XML syntax that only
> does
> >updates. This doesn't solve the SQL for XML
> problem.
> >On the other hand, this was the original goal of
> >SiXDML, one which I think it accomplishes rather
> well.
> >http://www.xmldb.org/sixdml/
> >http://www.xmldb.org/sixdml/sixdml-lang.html
> >http://www.xmldb.org/sixdml/sixdml-api.html
> >http://www.25hoursaday.com/sixdml/demo.html
>
> This is another proposal that does not try to
> address the design goals of
> XQuery updates. Instead of trying to integrate with
> the XQuery language, it
> integrates with the SQL language, with a looser
> coupling to XSLT, as seen
> in queries like this:

Why should the design goals for SiXDML have been for
it to integrate with XQuery?

> SELECT //TITLE[text()='Sandstone'] FROM
> auctiondata/auction1.xml AND TRANSFORM WITH XSLT IN{
>
> <xsl:stylesheet version="1.0"
> xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/XSL/Transform/1.0";>
> <xsl:template match="/">
> <HTML>
> <HEAD><TITLE><xsl:value-of
> select='/document/title'/></TITLE></HEAD>
> <BODY><xsl:apply-templates/></BODY>
> </HTML>
> </xsl:template>
>
> <xsl:template match="TITLE">
> <H1><xsl:apply-templates/></H1>
> </xsl:template>
>
> </xsl:stylesheet>
> }
>
> Both of these languages can be used for updates, but
> neither obviates the
> need for an XQuery update syntax, IMHO.

Here I agree. Regardless of what developments in other
query languages occur, XQuery should still eventually
have update capabilities.

=====
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #93
If I decide to hold a double execution of the hero and an underling who failed or betrayed me, I will see to it that the hero is scheduled to go first.