   Re: [xml-dev] Re: I can XInclude where I bloody want to

Mike Brown wrote:

> > If the solution to posting documents on the web involves using script
> > code to load up specific implementations of DOM and specifc
> > implementations of XSL then that _is_ fatal to the web as an open medium
> > for exchanging documents.
>
> Netscape's gratuitous flaunting of standards, its tolerance for horribly
> broken HTML, its endless extensions to HTML to turn it into a user agent
> control language rather than declarative document structure markup, and its
> inability to properly render tables (one of its own HTML extensions, if I
> recall), certainly were not fatal to the web. The W3C even embraced their
> ideas and incorporated them into HTML 3 and 3.2.

If a problem isn't fatal then it isn't a problem? Cross-engine
incompatibilities cost developers time. In my mind, any such
incompatibility should be declared as a feature in the XSLT itself or as
an off-by-default command line switch.

 Paul Prescod