   RE: [xml-dev] Out of topic or out of interest?

It isn't a battle for XML as long as XML itself
is not defined to exclude one of these.  That is
what I mean by "XML Is Done".  Undo that and it
will be war for sure, right, wrong, or indifferent.

It isn't naivete to pick timing and place.  It is a good
thing to understand all sides if a battle is
inevitable.  I don't think one is.  SOAP did not
come to pick a fight with REST.  Both of these
architectures are "tech".

How the W3C expends resources is something for
its directors to decide.  Remember, the TAG is
a technical architecture committee, not a resource
allocation committee.  IMO, they are responsible
for issuing opinions on the issues brought to
them, not to design architectures.  They choose
to express this in terms such as "safety",
"important resources must have URIs" and so forth.
This is of value but is not a constraint except
insofar as an architecture is warrantied for
well-defined qualities.

I think we all know how difficult it is to
maintain agreements based on function calls.
That doesn't mean it is immoral, unethical,
whatever.  It means it is hard.  Caveat emptor.
It is just as hard to maintain agreements
based on message types.  It is harder if there
are no agreements at all.

Please explain to me, "ad hoc messaging".
I'm unclear how that works.

As to well-funded dissing, horses loathe to
drink downstream from bears.  The quality
of the water is important to the horse. If
you are the rider, guide it to good water.
If the water is ok, let it find it.  In that
sense, yes, ignore the SOAP vs. REST arguments.
The good news is that most of use probably
now understand them.  Thanks to Paul, Mark,
et al for introducing these issues.

len