   Re: [xml-dev] Out of topic or out of interest?

Mike Champion wrote:

> The REST vs RPC debate isn't about GET vs POST,
> or scripting vs typed languages,  or doing by hand vs using a Visual
> programming tool, or SOAP vs generic XML .... it's about
> identifying services by their URI so that they are REALLY part of the Web.
> I honestly don't think that message has come across in the numerous
> lists and weblogs as well as it has here.

Well said, Mike. From my point of view, as someone who is in complete
agreement with what I suppose is "REST" and as someone who, frankly, has
become bored to death with "RPC" -- I mean we have been doing this since the
1980's eh? -- my objection is that I feel as though I am being beat over the
head and forced to bow down a pray to some new messianic religion called
"REST", which makes me gag. We ought make our point and get on to writing
killer apps that demonstrate the point, and there are other trickly and as
yet unsolved problems that deserve some architectural attention for those
who would rather not, or are otherwise to busy to, write code (and
unfortunately more recently I have to count myself among the latter). In any
case it is what you say, not how many times you say it (and this is
explicitly NOT directed at you Mike).

Jonathan