   Re: [xml-dev] XQuery types was Re: [xml-dev] Yet another plea for XUpdat

Dare,

> This thread is a waste of my time.

I don't think it is, honestly. Please go back and reread:

> Obviously you have
> refused to understand my point w.r.t. XQuery & updates

I changed the subject line _on purpose_ because I am not talking about the
relationship between XQuery and updates, rather XQuery types themselves:

1) The debates about types in XML Schema and XQuery have been going on for
_years_ now, you are not the first, nor likely the last to get involved with
this. My strong impression is that everyone practically has a totally
different idea of what the term "type" means. Furthermore, lots of people's
eyes glaze over when any mention of the "PSVI" or sight of the XQuery formal
semantics appears. I am _honestly_ trying to give a very simple
interpretation of this.

2) IMHO the only rational way to understand types w.r.t. XML is not as
"static types" rather as classes. Think of classes as javascript "expando"
objects (for example).

3) When I say that types and validation are two different (albeit related)
things, I mean it. You said this was different than any formal descriptions
of types you've encountered. I provided a reference -- not an esoteric
incomprehensible reference, instead a reference that is

a) short -- i think the paperback is something like $9.99
b) relatively readable

Jonathan