   RE: [xml-dev] XQuery types was Re: [xml-dev] Yet another plea for XUpdat

  • To: "Jonathan Borden" <jborden@attbi.com>,"James Clark" <jjc@jclark.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] XQuery types was Re: [xml-dev] Yet another plea for XUpdate...
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 21:14:50 -0700
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

We all understand what you are saying but when most of us say "type
system" we aren't talking about your definition of it. In my world,
there are data types and there are constraints which are not mutually
exclusive but not interchangeable either. E.g. the diffence between a
database column called AGE of data type INTEGER and a constraint (CHECK
AGE > 0 ).

W3C XML Schema and XQuery mix both notions and still try to call it the
same thing which they clearly are not. Given the SQL update statement

	UPDATE students
	SET age = ( age - 10);

Although we can tell that the value being assigned to the column is of
the correct "type" at compile time, we cannot tell if this statement
violates the CHECK constraint until runtime when we actually look at the
value in the table.

Now this is the point I've been trying to make and one can clearly see
that the static type analysis phase can be considered unecessary in
checking if the update is valid since the CHECK constraint covers it and
more.

Of course, looking at it from a different perspective static types are
constraints as well, they just happen to be evaluated at a different
time. I assume this is the perspective you are taking, non?

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
No matter how long or how hard you shop for an item,

rights.
You assume all risk for your use. (c) 2002 Microsoft Corporation. All
rights reserved.