   Re: [xml-dev] XQuery types was Re: [xml-dev] Yet another plea for XUpda

At 12:57 PM 5/6/2002 -0600, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> > If you think Bertrand Meyer is on the right track, saying that both
> dynamic
> > typing and static typing are important, then why do you think that this
> > does not apply to XQuery?
>
>Because Meyer was constructing a compiler: he had to deal directly with
>the physical layer.  I think one of the strengths of XML is that
>technologies at the XML layer should not have to.  This was also one of
>the promises of relational DBMS, which I think got besmirched in the
>ascendancy of SQL.

We agree that an XML query language should not be closely wed to a physical
representation. But types are not an attribute of the physical layer, and I
don't understand how strong static typing weds an XQuery implementation to
any particular physical strategy. Can you go into more detail on this?

The strong static typing may tell me, for instance, that a query is invalid
because you can't multiply an integer times a URL, or because a query will
raise errors if an optional element is omitted in a dataset. What does this
have to do with the physical storage of the data being queried?

Jonathan