   RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup (was Re: [xml-dev] XQuery types)

> Well said. My issue with the XQuery type system is that the WG has
> focused on adding unecessary complexity to querying XML (what is the
> difference between "cast as", "assert as" and "treat as"?,

On that score, I think you will find that a great deal of effort has been
expended, and will continue to be expended, on reducing the complexity.
Unfortunately, finding the right simplifications is not always easy,
especially in a large committee. People (me included) are always less likely
to fight against the addition of a feature they consider unnecessary than
against the removal of one they really like, so it's always hard to make the
language smaller.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com