   Re: [xml-dev] XPath 1.5? (was RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup)

Hi Mike,

Michael Kay wrote:
> Now we are in the same position with XML Schema [as with namespaces].

Future will tell, but I would think that:

1) more people will work without W3C XML Schema than without namespaces.
2) the impact on XSLT and XPath *for the users* is much bigger than the
impact of namespaces.

I reckon that many applications will use W3C XML Schema, but for the web
sites I have designed, I don't see *any* value of adding W3C XML Schema
schemas. Schematron and RELAX NG may are much better choices to validate
my documents and I have no need for datatypes.

For these purposes, XSLT 1.0, XPath 1.0 a EXSLT are enough (even though
functions such as regular expressions which could be added through EXSLT
would help) and I have no intention to migrate to XSLT and XPath 2.0...

I for one would be very interested by keeping XSLT 1.0, XPath 1.0 a
EXSLT alive after XPath 2.0 and XSLT 2.0 have been published!

Eric
--
See you in Barcelona.
                               http://www.xmleurope.com/2002/schedule.asp