   RE: [xml-dev] XPath 1.5? (was RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup)

At 9:28 AM -0700 5/7/02, Jonathan Robie wrote:

>>Because an XML document is defined as a finite sequences of characters.
>
>Actually, XML Schema defines value spaces for the various types, and
>many people are doing XML views of persistent data.

But the schema is most definitely *not* a fundamental part of the XML
document. What the schema says is in the document does not change
what is in the document. What is in the document are strings, not
numbers, not dates, but strings. You may choose to apply a  certain
schema to the document and use the information in that schema to
inform the processing choices you make; but that in no way implies
that I or anyone else has to apply the same schema, or indeed any
schema at all.  You may call <foo>45.67</foo> a float. I may call it
a BigDecimal or a Money or an Address, but all it really is is a
string. Each of us would have to instantiate the relevant type we
want from the string we actually have.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |