   Re: [xml-dev] XPath 1.5? (was RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup)

From: "Matthew Gertner" <matthew.gertner@schemantix.com>

> I can
> certainly say from my experience programming in Java and C++ that I would
> prefer for a number to be a number and for a date to be a date, rather than
> having to constantly convert back and forth.

Say I am maintaining and growing a large document set, of technical books.  Can I use XML Schemas dates to describe my dates? The chances are slim. So XML Schemas creates a requirement for conversion in order to use it fully.  Or, more likely, people maintaining existing document systems will only use the datatyping of XML Schemas very loosely, and roll their eyes at all the parts that are extraneous to them.

You seem to be assuming the documents are created from out of some
DBMS. For publishing users, that is rarely the case. (Of course, some
people mix and match.)

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe