   RE: PSVI and XPath 2.0 data model

At 12:04 AM +0100 5/8/02, Michael Kay wrote:

>It is not acceptable for an XSLT2 processor (or an XSLT1 processor) to
>modify the tree that is provided as its input. It is acceptable for
>arbitrary processing to take place during the construction of that tree.
>This processing is not part of what an XSLT processor does, but it can be
>done by other software that you choose to run before running the XSLT
>processor.

Not good enough. If it's acceptable for "arbitrary processing to take
place during the construction of that tree" then absolutely anything
can happen during the construction of the tree. It is a loophole in
the XSLT2 spec big enough to drive a  $268 billion company from
Redmond through. If it is impossible to pass a genuine XML document
in its only normative form (a sequence of characters) to an XSLT
processor and not expect that the processor refrain from changing the
meaning of the document during source tree construction by randomly
replacing and reordering elements, then conformance is meaningless.

>I think the closest we could get to that might be to require that an
>implementor documents a method of constructing the input tree from an XML
>document using the "standard mapping" of XML documents to trees.

That's a start. However, this must be the default behavior. Anything
beyond that should be at user option only.

>We would also need to consider whether to put in a similar provision about
>serialization

Yes.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |